इंडियन आवाज़     24 Feb 2018 01:35:24      انڈین آواز

Jaipur: Situation under control after violence over police roughness

Our Correspondent / Jaipur

Situation in Jaipur is under control after yesterday’s incident in Ram Ganj area of city in which mob resorted to arson following report of police raughness with a couple. After the incident, administration has imposted curfew in RamGanj, MankChowck, SubhashChowck and GaltaGate police station areas.

After a minor incident involving the police and a couple, angry prostesters sourrounded the police vehicle and ambulance. Even a power house was set ablaze. One person died and 25 persons including 4 police personnels have been wonded.

Internet services have been suspended for the first time in the city. The police and STF have took out a peace march. Constant monitering of the area is being done through drones. The Routes towards Delhi have been diverted.

Additional teams of the doctors have been deployed in hospitals. Schools and hospitals remained closed in the Walled City. Till now, no arrests have been made.

According to reports trouble started at about 8:30 pm on Friday, when a police constable, during a routine clearing of street vendors, allegedly hit a Muslim couple – local resident Sajid and his wife – who were passing by on a bike.
“We were just passing by when the policemen stopped us. Then, a constable swung his baton and hit our bike. My husband was hit on his hand and my little daughter fell off the bike. I tried to stop the constable but he pushed me aside,” Sajid’s wife told local news channels outside the police station. The incident led to a heated verbal exchange, after which the couple reached the Ramganj police station.

“It was a minor scuffle and while the policemen were talking to the couple, a crowd gathered outside the station. They started pelting stones and engaged in vandalism and arson. Police used light force to disperse them by firing tear gas shells and shots in the air. One Mohammad Raees alias Adil was injured and taken to SMS Hospital in the city, where he passed away at about 1 am,” Police Commissioner Sanjay Agarwal told media, adding, “The cause of his death will be ascertained only after we have the postmortem report.”

Agarwal said four policemen were also injured and were rushed to the trauma centre of the hospital. One of them, he said, was seriously injured. “The situation is under control now. Our teams are patrolling the area and peace committee meetings are being held to restore normalcy,” he said. While police claimed they had to use force because the mob had turned unruly, Muslim organisations said police used excessive force without giving the crowd a chance to disperse.

“Police did not even wait for the crowd to disperse after the lathicharge. Eyewitnesses told us they only fired two-three tear gas shells and then started firing. Also, they could have fired in the air or aimed at the protesters’ legs. Adil died from a bullet wound on his chest,” Mohd Iqbal Siddiqi, spokesperson of the Jamaat-e-Islami Hind said. Areas under the Ramganj, Manak Chowk, Subhash Chowk and Galta Gate police stations remained under curfew from 2 am late Friday night to 8 pm on Saturday, after several vehicles were set ablaze by the mob.

Follow and like us:

Leave a Reply

You have to agree to the comment policy.



Vikas, Gaurav enter semis of Strandja Memorial boxing

Former Asian Games gold-medallist Vikas Krishan (75kg) and Gaurav Solanki (52kg), have advanced to the semifin ...

Mapuia’s Brace Ends Aizawl’s Winless Run

AMN / Aizawl After eight winless games, finally Aizawl FC got back to their winning ways while they defeated ...



February 2018
« Jan    


Mallya case: India gives fresh set of documents to UK

AMN India has given a fresh set of papers to the UK in the extradition case of businessman Vijay Mallya. Ex ...

@Powered By: Logicsart

Help us, spread the word about INDIAN AWAAZ