Gunmen killed at least 10 people and wounded many others in an attack on Kabul’s Intercontinental Hotel. An interior ministry spokesman said, special forces killed two of the attackers.
An official said, around 100 hostages have been released and security forces are still trying to clear the landmark hilltop hotel.
Four gunmen stormed into the hotel last night, opening fire on guests and staff and taking dozens of people hostage, including foreigners.
No one has claimed the responsibility for the attack so far.
The incident occurred late on Saturday when gunmen burst into the heavily guarded hotel, located atop a hill in the west of the Afghan capital.
“The attack has ended completely after all the assailants were eliminated,” the spokesperson said.
Rahimi added that six civilians died and another seven were wounded in the attack on the hotel where police and investigators arrived on Sunday morning to clear the area of explosives.
Security forces rescued 151 guests, including 41 foreigners, and hotel staff, the Interior Ministry told the media, adding that one foreigner was among the dead, without specifying the victim’s nationality.
“All hotel rooms have been cleared and searched one by one. The hotel is completely cleared and the operation has ended. None of the terrorists remain (alive) in the hotel,” an official said.
The hotel, which was the target of a similar attack in June 2011 that left 21 dead including nine attackers, caters to wealthy Afghans and foreigners, and often hosts private parties and official events such as press briefings, seminars and conferences.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attack.